Position Based in Columbus or Cleveland Office
For nearly 100 years, the American Civil Liberties Union has been at the forefront of every major battle for civil liberties and social justice in this country. As leaders of the resistance, the ACLU brings together activists from all walks of life to advance equality, fairness, and freedom, especially for the most vulnerable in our society.
The ACLU of Ohio seeks an experienced attorney to lead and supervise litigation and related advocacy efforts and to assist in the management of the Legal Department. The person we hire as Senior Staff Attorney must have the experience and requisite skill to successfully litigate every step of a complex case, starting with initial client contact and continuing through final resolution at trial or appeal if necessary. The Senior Staff Attorney will also collaborate with our policy and legislative teams to develop potential cases, as well as non-litigation strategies, for defending civil liberties and advancing civil rights.
The Senior Staff Attorney will report to the Legal Director and provide guidance and project supervision to the Staff Attorney, the Legal Assistant, and law clerks. The Senior Staff Attorney will collaborate with volunteer attorneys and with lawyers from the national ACLU, other ACLU state affiliates, and national and Ohio-based organizations, to plan and execute litigation and other advocacy strategies.
The Senior Staff Attorney will also:
- Participate in setting priorities and developing strategies for our legal work;
- Engage in public speaking and educational activities;
- Help recruit cooperating attorneys;
- Work with our communications staff to educate the public and promote our work;
- Participate in development activities; and
- Travel as necessary to fulfill all duties related to this position.
Minimum qualifications to apply for this position include:
- J.D. from an accredited law school;
- Admission to and continued good standing with the Ohio bar, or ability to be admitted within six months of start date;
- At least seven years of post J.D. federal and state court litigation experience;
- A demonstrated passion for civil liberties;
- Knowledge of constitutional law; and
- Substantial knowledge of procedural law, including the rules governing §1983 cases and other types of civil rights litigation, and class actions.
Additional details about this position are provided in the Job Description accessible via the link provided below.
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org In your cover letter, please indicate how you heard about this position. Screening of resumes will begin April 30. The position will remain open until the right candidate is found.
Salary and Compensation
Salary based on skills and experience. Benefits package includes health, life, disability insurance, retirement, and paid time off.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.