Friday, February 17th has been established as a National General Strike to support the Constitution and defend and further America’s commitments to progressive causes. Those commitments include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Upholding Democracy
- Human Rights
- Environmental Concerns
- Ethics In Public Service
Events are being organized in various locations during the strike. We will post links to Ohio events as they are shared with us.
Other Ways to Participate
We understand that it is not feasible for every American to show their support and solidarity by not attending work or school. So below we have a number of other ways for you to support the strike.
1. Support hungry Ohioans in your community by volunteering or donating money or non-perishable food to your local food bank. Hunger is Ohio is on the rise and 1 in 4 kids are unsure where their next meal will come from.
DONATE YOUR LUNCH MONEY A tax-deductible gift is always welcome, which can be made online www.ohiofoodbanks.org or to your local foodbank or emergency food assistance provider. For every $1 that you donate, the Foodbank can provide four meals for the hungry!
DONATE FOOD The demand for emergency food is high, and foodbanks need your help. Food donations are welcome, especially the Super Six most needed food items: boxed cereal, peanut butter, canned tuna, canned vegetables, canned beef stew and canned soup.
DONATE TIME The need for volunteers is real and tangible and they support more than 2 million Ohioans who benefit annually from the food we provide.
Find your local food bank below:
Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank – serving Summit, Portage, Medina, Wayne, Stark, Holmes, Tuscarawas and Carroll counties.
Greater Cleveland Food Bank – serving Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Ashtabula, Ashland and Richland counties.
Freestore Foodbank – serving Hamilton, Clermont, Clinton, Brown, Highland, Adams, Pike and Scioto counties.
MidOhio Foodbank – serving Franklin, Delaware, Morrow, Marion, Union, Madison, Fayette, Pickaway, Ross, Fairfield, Licking, Muskingum, Coshocton, Guernsey, Noble, Monroe, Belmont, Harrison and Jefferson counties.
Second Harvest Food Bank of North Central Ohio – serving Crawford, Erie, Huron and Lorain counties.
Second Harvest Food Bank of the Mahoning Valley – serving Mahoning, Trumbull and Columbiana counties.
SE Ohio Foodbank & Kitchen – serving Hocking, Athens, Lawrence, Morgan, Vinton, Gallia, Jackson, Meigs, Perry and Washington counties.
Shared Harvest Foodbank – serving Butler, Warren, Preble, Darke and Miami counties.
The Foodbank, Inc. – serving Montgomery and Greene counties.
Toledo Northwestern Ohio Food Bank – serving Lucas, Ottawa, Sandusky, Wood, Henry, Fulton, Defiance and Williams counties.
West Ohio Food Bank – serving Mercer, Van Wert, Paulding, Putnam, Allen, Augliaze, Shelby, Hardin, Hancock, Seneca and Wyandot counties.
2. Contact your State Legislators on the budget. Tell them Ohio should not cut income taxes for the rich. There are better ways to spend out tax money such as addressing Ohio’s drug epidemic, easing hunger, restoring school staffing, increasing access to birth control and making our water safe to drink. Make sure to let them know if you’ve taken an action to support your local food bank.
3. Contact your Members of Congress and let them know why you support the strike.
4. Using the hashtag “#BreakLunch”, use your lunch break to disrupt and participate.
- Use social media to show how you #BreakLunch. Tweet, FB, Instagram, and Snapchat messages that support democracy. Include hashtags #BreakLunch, #GeneralStrike, #F17
- If you donated your lunch money that day to a local foodbank, post about it and use those same hashtags.
- Get creative and show the world how you #BreakLunch
Check back for more opportunities to participate as the date gets closer.
Have an event you want added or suggestions for additional actions? Contact us below:
[contact-form to=’email@example.com’ subject=’National General Strike’][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]