Primary Function and Purpose: Enhance Planned Parenthood’s government affairs and public advocacy communication outreach. Develop and implement proactive communication plans to increase awareness of Planned Parenthood’s legislative strategies and positions with policymakers, the public, internal associates, supporters and outside stakeholders through various channels including web, print, digital and social. Experience with social media management is a requirement.
The Communications/Digital Manager supports Planned Parenthood Advocates of Ohio (PPAO), Planned Parenthood of Greater Ohio (PPGOH), and Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio (PPSWO) government affairs and advocacy team in increasing public understanding, awareness and support of Planned Parenthood. Develops and executes communication strategies, including media outreach to raise the visibility of Planned Parenthood’s work on reproductive health. The Manager identifies opportunities to communicate broadly about policy issues related to Planned Parenthood and reproductive health. The Manager participates in researching and writing about policy issues, supports issue campaigns, and helps identify and mobilize supporters and coalition partners. The Manager develops and executes a communication and media relations strategy that utilizes multi-channel media outlets.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Communications/Digital Manager will report to the VP of Government Relations and Public Advocacy and will work as part of the PPAO leadership team. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated ability to implement a communications strategy, including working with journalists and serving as the frontline person to utilize social media to document/publicize events.
- Drafts press releases, media advisories, memos, talking points, op-eds, social media and web content, and other materials as needed under tight deadlines
- Maintains and updates social media channels with original content daily, including some graphics.
- Develops strong media relationships, including the development of media lists that target appropriate audiences for various releases and information.
- Assists in the execution of press events at the Statehouse and at major events to highlight government relations efforts, issues, and supporters.
- Trains and prepares spokespeople for media availability and press opportunities.
- Identifies opportunities for policy communication around educational programming, reproductive health conferences, legislative issues rallies and public advocacy activities.
- Coordinates with other affiliate staff members and serves as an inter-departmental liaison on public policy editorial content.
- Works with health center administration and local health centers to target communication to local community leaders, organizations and media outlets to increase their understanding of the impact of the local Planned Parenthood health center.
- Supports communication needs of the state field organization team.
- Oversees government affairs content on website and social media platforms.
This position requires significant travel around the state, as well as nontraditional work hours, to represent PPAO at events and to achieve media-relations goals in the field.
Attributes: Great Communicator, Responsive, Persuasive, Calm under Pressure, Passionate, Creative, Flexible, Results Driven, Strategic, Relationship Builder, Networker, Resourceful
- Requires a bachelor’s degree (ideally a Master’s or equivalent work experience) and 3-5 years’ experience with a background in communication, public affairs or government relations experience.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to work under tight deadlines. Proven results in using communication to influence policy debates.
- Demonstrated expertise in strategic planning as well as short-term crisis management.
- Strong established relationships with media.
To apply please send your cover letter, resume, and short writing sample to Joanna.email@example.com.