Position: Organizer for Northern Ohio
Reports to: Field and Political Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Health, dental, vision, life insurance and paid time off
Status: Full-time exempt position (40 hours)
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio is dedicated to building and sustaining a constituency that uses the political process to guarantee access to reproductive healthcare for every Ohioan, including preventive care, family planning, sexuality education, prenatal and postnatal health care, and safe, legal abortion. NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio is a grass-roots 501(c)(4) advocacy organization. Two additional affiliated organizations help advance NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio’s mission. The NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio Foundation conducts public education and research intended to increase public awareness of relevant reproductive health care issues. The NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio PAC is the political action committee that conducts direct electoral work with and for pro-choice candidates.
NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio seeks an energetic, strategic, and innovative person to engage and activate diverse communities in Central and Southern Ohio around reproductive rights, heath and justice issues. The field organizer is responsible for recruiting, mobilizing, and managing pro-choice activists for NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio, NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio Foundation and NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio PAC. The field organizer will report directly to our Field and Political Director and will work with their supervisor and other colleagues to create, manage, and execute a comprehensive field plan.
- Work with the Field and Political Director to develop and implement a plan with measurable goals to support the organization’s grassroots legislative, political, and base-building initiatives
- Collaborate with other staff to develop and execute a long-term base-building plan to recruit, train, and sustain a statewide cadre of volunteers and interns needed to implement grassroots programs
- Coordination of field canvasses, phone banks, and public demonstrations
- Create leadership roles for activists that provide opportunities for increased responsibility, skill development, and ownership of the work
- Recruit, train, and supervise interns
- Conduct university campus outreach
- Maintain activist database, keep data current, including individual activist information, and results of volunteer activities
- Represent the organization at community events that raise the visibility of and educate the public on reproductive rights and health & justice issues
- Collaborate with the Communications Manager to capitalize on earned media opportunities to increase organizational influence
- Assist efforts to grow organization’s social media profiles and email lists
- Collaborate with the Communications Manager, create content for organizational blog, brochures, and other educational materials
- Assist the Development Director with planning and executing house party fundraisers
- Coordinate with other staff to ensure cohesive execution of priority programming
- Other duties as needed
Ideal candidate will possess the following qualities and skills
- Strong commitment to reproductive rights and justice
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- One to two years experience in organizing, specifically for a political or not-for-profit organization
- Experience planning and conducting trainings and facilitating meetings
- Proficiency in voter management systems (i.e. VAN, or Catalist, etc.), online advocacy tools, virtual phonebanks/online predictive dialer systems, and Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of political environment of Ohio
- Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail and strategic thinking
- Superior work ethic
- Ability to independently manage several projects at one time, set priorities and follow a strategic plan
- Flexibility in work environment
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically and to build positive relationships with staff, volunteers, board members, and NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio membership
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
Must have reliable transportation, current auto insurance, and valid driver’s license.
Frequent evening and weekend hours and travel around the state required. To apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, three references, salary requirements, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 7th, 2018. No calls please.
NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals to apply.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A COMPLETE LIST OF ALL RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES, OR SKILLS FOR THIS POSITION AND IS SUBJECT TO REVIEW AND CHANGE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE NEEDS OF THE ORGANIZATION.